Plant Starter kit

An old school friend visited the other day and expressed her interest in starting to have more plants in her home. I couldn't miss the opportunity to get someone else hooked on plants.

So I organised to send her home with a little plant starter kit to help boost her collection.


 I included a cutting from a String of Pearls that needed to be propagated in water or stuck straight into soil. Unfortunately it was attacked by a small child. It was so tempting with those little balls to pull off. It looked ok and will definitely still grow.

I also got her a cutting of a Chain of Hearts that has two potatoes on it so when it's ready for a pot those spuds just need to be tucked in the soil.


I had a Jade and a Dew plant already growing in pots. A recycled tin can with holes for the Dew plant and a plastic pot for the Jade. I taped the top so the soil wouldn't fall out while travelling.

I also included three bits of Elephant Bush Jade with roots already grown. They can keep growing in water but are also ready to pot.

 I also gave her a baby spider plant that I saved from dying a couple of months ago. It has been growing in water and can either stay in water for longer or potted.

I wrapped the plants that had exposed roots up in wet tissue paper and cling wrap.



I also threw in a box of succulent cuttings from the back garden. All of these can go  into soil and will grow happily in a garden or in a pot.

The Chain of Hearts, String of Pearls and Spider Plant all seem to love bright indirect light and live happily inside or on a covered deck. The String of Pearls I think likes it best closer to a window and it WILL DIE if overwatered. I know because I've killed a few!

All the others need more sun and seem to like living on a covered deck or outside. If they are inside they would need a position with more light.
Don't forget though some succulents can struggle with too much sun and actually do like to be watered.

My tips for starting a plant collection are:

  • Buy correct soil. Succulent soil for succulents and premium potting mix for other potted plants.
  • Buy pots with drainage holes so plants can be properly watered and then left to dry out.
  • Find the right spots for your plants. This is often a trial and error process.
  • Try Kmart for cheap pots 
  • Terracotta pots from Bunnings are a cheap way to pot cactus and succulents
  • If your plant is dying take a cutting to propagate in water while you try and revive it.
  • Know your plants water needs. Keep moist, dry out partially or completely dry out between waterings?
  • Read @houseplantjournal
Just remember its all learning and some plants with probably die. Just remember a pot plant can cost the same as a bunch of flowers and we EXPECT the flowers to die.

What plants would you suggested for starting off? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Propagating Chain of Hearts.

Begonia Babies- How to Propagate a Begonia Erythrophylla

The Begonia Family